I’ve been very discouraged for the past few days. It has made me question many things about me and my abilities. I’ve been discouraged before, but it seems like it is worse now than it’s ever been before. I am almost discouraged from reading God’s Word, but that’s how the devil would like for me to react.
I thought about some of the ways I can combat discouragement:
- I need to run to God— “The name of the Lord is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe” (Proverbs 18:10)
- I need to read His Word even more— “…the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises to be fulfilled” (Romans 15:4)
- I need to be strong— “Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you…” (Isaiah 41:10)
- I need to stay focused—“…after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation” (1 Peter 5:10)
- I need to remember that everything that happens is part of God’s plan—“…God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them” (Romans 8:28)
Even though I am still very much discouraged, I feel hopeful after reading these Scripture verses. I need to keep pressing forward despite feeling discouraged. I know deep in my heart that God will take care of me, but my present circumstances seem to cloud everything.
I know that He wants what is best for me and I know that He will not lead me in the wrong direction (“I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you”—Psalm 32:8). I have to hold onto the promise in Deuteronomy 31:8, “Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
God, after reading these Scripture verses, I know that I just have to trust in You.